What are your goals for 2017?
I choose to use the word ‘Goals’ over ‘New Year Resolutions’ as I feel there is way more power in the word, plus you can set goals at anytime of the year, winning! For me goals are a way to focus my time and think how I can grow over the next year, in both my professional and personal life, this is very important. If you want to build a life you have dreamed of you need to know where all areas of your life are heading.
Now, I love nothing more than a brainstorming session whatever the subject but GOALS by far are my favourite. I love to go right outside my comfort zone, think about what I feel can achieve then up the goal. I believe in my previous corporate life this would have been known as a Stretched Goal but now I refer to it as my Platinum Goal.
If you do one thing in 2017 it’s SET YOUR GOALS! There’s a reason large corporations do this as it gets results, it gives you direction and it is measurable. You can revisit your goals at anytime, amend or add to them, but you just need to start doing them!
If you’ve never done this before here are some guidelines:
- Set short, medium & long term goals – Make some quick winning goals, it spurs on the motivation and these small steps all go towards your ultimate long term goals.
- Write them down – This may seem obvious but this is so important, don’t just think about them put them down on paper and read them.
- Focus on your goals daily – This process it like an affirmation. Read them everyday to keep your focus.
- Do one thing towards your goals daily – No matter how small do just one thing. It may be a phone call, an e-mail or 10k words of your book. Whatever you do is a step to achieving your goals.
- Be really really specific – This may be the most important element. The more specific you are the easier it is achieve and measure your goal. Put plenty of detail around the goal. For example a professional goal may be to get a pay rise. How much you want, when do you want it, how will you quantify achieving it, how will this improve your career/life. A personal goal may be to buy your dream home, so when you do want to do this by, what area will it be in, what will the house be like, how will this improve your life, what do you need to do that you’re currently not doing to achieve this. The more detail you can put around your goals the better. The detail is the small steps you need to take to achieve your bigger goals.
What are you waiting for make 2017 EPIC! I know that’s my plan.